Gears — Arena Boredom Break!
Winter is STILL here and the arena feels like it’s getting smaller and smaller. After a 1 month hiatus from jumping, to work on my dressage, I decided to create an exercise that would;
1) Practice the turns & rollbacks we have been working on
2) Set up low cavaletti’s to re-introduce jumping
3) Keep the OTTB brain engaged & constantly listening
So what happens when you have 2x the Cartwheel?
GEARS: The Double Cartwheel
1) Set up 3 cross-rails on the center line, lengthwise at X, D, and G
2) Set up cavalettis near V & P, R & S, & if room permits, between M & C
(I set up 1 between M &C to act as an “entrance” into the exercise, so Oz could build confidence over a quadrant of the circle instead of the full circle).
Now the fun part!
|Simple Serpentine:||Complex Serpentine:||Figure 8:|
AND FINALLY: THE DOUBLE CARTWHEEL
You can also do a “free-form pattern” and just keep turning, adjust the strides, and keep your horse thinking. Just make sure you have a plan going in, and arn’t just turning and burning. You should always know where your next 2 jumps are, so you can bend & adjust your horse as necessary and send clear aids.
It looks like we’re breaking out of the minus temperatures this week, so we’ll try to get one or two more boredom breaks in before spring 🙂 HAVE FUN!
Posted in Horses, Oz by admin